Saturday, December 31, 2011

Santa’s Lap

As I promised after our last Santa visit, we saw Santa before Christmas.  Justin, James and I attended a Christmas party that the Army FRG (Family Readiness Group) put together.  It’s always great food, arts and crafts, games, and a visit from Santa.  This Santa (a very nice guy, by the way) wasn’t so Santa-y so, I was a little nervous that it would scare or confuse James.  Kind of like last year.

IMG_2849

I was all prepared for confusion and tears.  I was prepared to tell James that this isn’t the real Santa, but that he works for Santa during this busy time.  I tried to prepare for a new fear of Santa.  In true Chollet fashion, I had all possibilities very well analyzed.  Or so I thought.

As soon as James saw the red suit, he was ecstatic.  He jumped out of his seat, “It’s Danta! It’s Danta!  It’s Danta!”  He patiently waited his turn to sit on Santa’s lap.  He stared and pointed and smiled and danced.  Every ounce within him believed that this was Santa Claus.  Just like his school picture, he didn’t smile, but he didn’t cry.  I was very proud.

FRG Santa

I was blown away by James’ reaction.  My favorite thing about my son is his innocence.  I never knew how concrete a toddler’s mind is.  If someone has a beard and red suit then, he is Santa.  Period.  No questions asked.  I couldn’t have been more wrong.  I couldn’t have been more pleased.  Another parenting lesson learned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment