Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summer Visit with the Davises

Justin went to Texas last week for training.  Luckily one of my best friends came to visit the day that he left.  We sadly said goodbye to Daddy.

IMG_5821

Then long overdue fun began with Leah, Jack and Lucy!

Leah 2012

James’ obsession with Jack also began.  Jack just turned three.  James loves older friends.  I think he enjoys learning to do big boy stuff.

For example, eating at the table.  Every time he ate out of a bowl though, it landed facedown on the floor (cereal, pasta, oatmeal, etc.).  I think its time to buy a kid’s table.

Leah 20121

It didn’t take long to realize these boys have a lot in common and were going to rule the house.

IMG_5833

But first, let me tell you that the day Justin left and The Davises arrived, my air conditioner broke beyond repair.  All three kids sweated and cried all Sunday night.  I realized Monday morning that I had three kids, no hubby, and a serious situation on my hands.

IMG_5850

A few hours and a few thousand dollars later, it was a stagnant 89 degrees in our house.  A new AC unit was being installed so, we had to be home all day.  At 4:00 it was cooler outside than inside.  Dodging dehydration, we played in the water and ate popsicles.

Leah 20122IMG_2765IMG_2738Leah 20123IMG_2769  IMG_2753crop

And for the first time, poor Lynyrd ran out of dog food. :(

IMG_2770

These kids were such troopers, though.  We were so proud of their resiliency.

IMG_2756

After the new unit was installed, we knew the house needed to cool.  So, we put the kids in Leah’s minivan and headed to a restaurant that ended up having a broken AC as well.  We ate there anyways, and realized that I had left my keys at home.  Therefore, I LOCKED US OUT OF THE HOUSE!  What is wrong with me?  I’m thinking at this point that I clearly was not holding down the fort.  We sat in the van for over an hour waiting on roadside assistance.

IMG_5856

Everyone was cranky.  Poor Lucy was crying.  James repeatedly asked to “get out” while Jack asked for water about 30 times.  We were all so dehydrated and exhausted.  At this point, I would have done anything to make these kids happy.  I felt so guilty.  We put on a new movie: Winnie the Pooh.  And I was again thankful for their resiliency.

IMG_5864

When we got in, the temperature was 84.  I almost started crying, and Leah said “we are not packing up and leaving.”  So, we gave the kids a cold bath,

IMG_5905

and positioned two fans on each bed.  We let them stay up to watch TV and eat cookies.

IMG_5866crop

Every night before bed these two watched Mickey Mouse, had Vanilla Wafers and milk, and talked.  It was so sweet.  They’d sit right next to each other and say things like “that’s Donald Duck!” “Yeah, and that’s Minnie.”  and “That’s a balloon.”  I wish I took a video of it.

IMG_5844crop

Reading before bed.

IMG_5884edit

The house somewhat cooled overnight, and everyone slept well.  The next day was Leah’s birthday.  I was determined to have a good day.  Jack was saying he wanted to go home when all the work was being done on the house.  It broke my heart.  I was determined for him to have a positive experience.  And we did.

We spoiled our kids with toys and candy at the Mast General Store.  We enjoyed birthday cake!

IMG_5882

We went to Edventure, the children’s museum.

IMG_5898IMG_5897

We ran errands.

IMG_5902

We went to the pool.  James wore a float for all of 5 minutes… because Jack was wearing one.

IMG_5847

We bathed the kids together every night.

IMG_5835Leah 20124

And we relished our time together.

Leah 20125

Leah, thank you so much for making the trip with two kids in tow.  This may have not been the week we expected, the boys may have lived in their underwear, our adult time didn’t start before 9:30, we cleaned up more accidents than we ever thought possible, and we may have gone into a depression when you left, but I wouldn’t have wanted to experience this crazy summer week with anyone but you.  And our kiddos of course!

IMG_2771

And Justin, you were missed!

photo

1 comment:

  1. What a thrill seeing you and Leah with your children! And Jack and James playing cars on the table Gramp (b.1872 - d.1966) made. :)

    Hope you had a terrific day at the zoo. Very sorry I wasn't working. Love.

    ReplyDelete