Saturday, September 29, 2012

James at Two and a Half {Part 2}

Our new nighttime routine is to take a bath around 7:00 then, get in your jammies.

IMG_6055_thumb

You get to watch TV or a movie then, you and I read some books before Daddy takes you up for reading and bed. This is my favorite time with you. You feel so refreshed after an early bath, and I love snuggling with my clean baby in jammies. Daddy and I both do.

IMG_6622_thumbIMG_6196_thumbIMG_6115_thumbIMG_6545_thumb

On this particular night, you stalled bedtime by reading the Bible. It was brilliant.

IMG_6553_thumb

You definitely have some tricks up your sleeve.  And I have to admit, it’s often hard for me to keep a straight face.

IMG_6417

‘Using your words’ is bittersweet.  It means less crying and hitting, but not all your words are pretty.  And you LOVE to act.  Especially when you have an audience.  At the grocery store one day, you were sitting in the cart when a couple walked by you.  You quickly waived your hands in a forward rolling motion, and yelled “whoa, I fall down!!”  They were not convinced.

IMG_6633

You sometimes say things like “I’m saaaaad” with your chin tucked down and bottom lip out.  I reply, “are you sad, buddy?  Or are you pretending?”  I take it seriously, because I am thankful that you are finally communicating emotion! You’ll laugh and say “I tending!”

IMG_6581

You now give threats, like “I gonna cry.” Or when I put you in your crib for a nap, “I gonna jump out!” {And then when I close the door, you immediately lay down unaware of our video monitor.}

IMG_6586

You think you’re the funniest when you quickly steal my seat after I get up.  You love to be tickled and called “a little seat stealer!”  You giggle, giggle, giggle then, say “Do it again?”

From Phone 2

Your favorite joke is wiping kisses off.  Every time you are kissed, you pretend to wipe it off, and you laugh, laugh, laugh.

I never know what you’re going to say.  In the picture below, Me: “James I don’t think that’s a good idea, honey.”  James: “It’s a great idea.”

IMG_6183

After my Aunt and Uncle babysat, Me: “What did you do today with Aunt Beth and Uncle David?”  James: “Aunt Bef and Unc Day take a baf.”  Me: “Oh really?”  I found that VERY hard to believe.

photo8cropIMG_6048

I realized a bit later that you were asking if they could be the ones to bathe you, as it was almost bath time when we talked.  That’s quite the compliment, as you always request Mommy baths.  {Looking like your Daddy in this picture.}

IMG_6532

You are all boy.  You’re a ham.

IMG_6862

I’ve said since you were a baby that you are strong-willed like Mommy, with Daddy’s high-intensity level.  It’s quite a combination.  And since you were three days old at your first doctor’s appointment, you still have people comment on how strong you are.  Doctors, your swimming coach, friends of the family, and even I feel like you are getting too strong for me!  Something I didn’t think I would say for another 12 years.

photo 1

The other day, we were holding hands, walking down the stairs, and I said “James, I love you so much.  I love you more than anything in the whole world.  You know that, buddy?  You and Daddy are my best friends.”  You actually stopped halfway down the stairs and sat on the step to listen. You hugged me then stood up, and continued down the stairs.  It’s this unhurried style that often makes me feel impatient, but also melts my heart.  And reminds me to slow down, stop thinking about the next thing, and cherish the moment.  That’s right, baby boy, I learn from you.

IMG_6343

My 31st birthday

James, you are my life.  On our good days and bad, we’re always in it together.

photo 3

I am so blessed that Daddy lets us stay home together.  We often desperately fill our eleven hour days with randomness. Like indoor camping and forts,

IMG_6015

driving cars through snow {aka shaving cream}

IMG_6035

and lots and lots of pool days.

IMG_6754crop

I’d be lying if I said that we didn’t turn the TV on daily.

IMG_6820

And that around 5:00, I often can’t wait for Daddy to get home.

IMG_6088

But I’m already feeling sentimental that next year you are required to go to preschool five mornings a week.

IMG_6787

Someone once told me “they’re yours until they go to school.”  I know you’ll always be mine {until you get a wife, but I can’t even think about that!}, but I also know I will miss our mornings of just us.

IMG_6142

Early one morning when you had pink eye.  You woke up saying “Uh oh, my eyes is hurtin’.  James needs sungwasses.”  I called the pediatrician as soon as they opened.

You are LOVING your friends these days.  We went from fighting over toys and parallel play to sharing with friends and cousins,

IMG_6210

Cousins Catie, Ellie and Baby CJ (not pictured)

asking to play with friends everyday,

IMG_6810

Patiently waiting for your best bud, Connor, to meet you at the park.

IMG_6812crop

and birthday party filled weekends {which is somewhat of a dream of mine}.

IMG_6830

We even planned a weekend play date with your obsessions friends, Jack and "Wucy Woo” Lucy.

From Phone 21From Phone 22IMG_6305

You’re a great friend, you’re too smart for your own good, and you make me laugh every day.  You are my Sweet Baby James.

IMG_6651

As Nancy Tillman wrote in one of your favorite books, you are “the one and only ever you”

photo 6crop

and life has truly never been the same!

IMG_2644crop

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog somuch. It makes me miss your family even more! It reminds me of just how much I love my kids and that I also need to treasure these moments. Love you!

    ReplyDelete