Thursday, March 3, 2011

Happy Birthday, Grammy

For Grammy’s “50th” birthday, we hopped in the car for a birthday surprise in Charleston.  We met them at Red’s on Shem Creek for lunch and had a wonderful afternoon.

IMG_4235focalbw

IMG_4236

Aunt Cora and Uncle Mike brought the balloon, which provided much entertainment for quite a while.

IMG_4238

James ate some lunch then, got ahold of my lemon from my water…

IMG_4241

IMG_4245

Although he didn’t think it was great, it didn’t seem that bad.  And he continued to eat it until he got one really bad bite.  (Looking at this picture makes me feel really guilty!)

IMG_4253

I thought the day had taken a turn for the worse as James could not seem to get the sour taste out of his mouth.

IMG_4255

Until he sat with Papa and had an all access pass to a basket of french fries.  Not the typical method we use to calm him, but it worked better than ever.  And happiness was the goal of the day.

IMG_4265

He was so happy in fact, that he didn’t notice the fry that stuck around.

IMG_4269

After he sucked the salt off the fries, he fed them to Papa and Grammy.  They love him so much, they would probably eat worms if he wanted them to.

IMG_4272

IMG_4277

Oh, but James loves his Grammy and Papa right back.  It’s so much fun now that he’s getting older and remembering the people in his life.  I can see it in his eyes, how much he loves his Grammy and Papa.

IMG_4274

Before we headed home, we took James to the Parade Grounds at The Citadel so, he could get some energy out.  Although this baby was happy,

IMG_4285

James Wallace walking around on the Parade Grounds was a dream come true to Daddy and Papa.

IMG_4287

IMG_4306

IMG_4313edited

IMG_4316edited

IMG_4323edited

When James was a colicky little baby for 6 months, my parents came to my rescue over and over again.  They came to Columbia for the birth.  Then, we wouldn’t let them leave for weeks.  There were days and nights that we couldn’t have gotten through without them.  There were two people that could soothe this crying baby: Mommy and Grammy.  My mom would walk James up and down the hallway until he’d finally fall asleep.  She would rock him and rock him for hours.  And when I would incessantly thank them, my mom once said, “You have to take care of someone to really, really love them.  And I really love him.”  I think about that a lot, and I’m thankful for the bond my parents have made with James.  Thank you, Grammy, for being there for both the good times and the hard times. 

Grammysepia

IMG_1925_thumbsepia

Grammy4sepia

Grammy3sepia

We love you, Grammy, and appreciate all that you do for our family.  Happy Birthday!

1 comment: