Monday, March 14, 2011

Rubber Ducky, James is One

My baby’s birthday is Wednesday, and yesterday we invited family and a few friends over to celebrate. It ended up being quite the celebration!

Family came from near and far to see Sweet Baby James cluelessly have his first birthday party.

IMG_4375

IMG_4466

IMG_8126edited

James started quacking weeks ago in preparation for his Rubber Ducky birthday party! We rented a bubble machine that was a big hit with the kiddies.

IMG_4367

IMG_8117

IMG_8123

We also had lots of goodies for all these busy little bellies.

IMG_8159

IMG_8152

treatscollage

And a special goody for the birthday boy.

IMG_8164

A bathtub was filled with drinks with one curious little ducky checking it out.

IMG_8149

Barbeque was enjoyed by all! (Even I got a chance to inhale some bites!)

barbequecollage

We also had lots of entertainment for our little ducklings. Happy children make happy parents.

IMG_4391cropped

IMG_4494

IMG_4487

We had a drawing station with duck crayons,

duckcrayons

and a bubble wand station (where little ones were found elbow deep).

IMG_4399cropped

bubblewandcollage

“Aunt Cheyet, when are we going to open the pinata?” asked my darling little Catie, who was dressed in rubber ducky yellow with sister, Ellie.

elliecatiecollage

The kids gave it their best shot.

IMG_4475

pinatacollage

And then Justin stepped up to the plate and got the job done.

IMG_4479

pinatajustincollage

IMG_8293

Before we knew it the sun was going down, James was nearing a meltdown, and it was time to sing happy birthday and eat some cake!

Looking back at pictures, we may have been closer to that meltdown than I realized.

IMG_8183

IMG_8191

We sang happy birthday then, played The Beatles birthday song (which was a tradition from my Dad) while we watched James dig in!

IMG_8200

smashcakeC&Jcollage

IMG_4444

IMG_8225

smashcakecollage

Meanwhile, the other kiddos grabbed some “Bubble Pops” and cupcakes!

IMG_8257

EmoryandCallie

IMAG0231

James took a quick bath and finished his party in his pj’s. (What a baby thing to do, right?) Feeling sentimental, I tried to steal my kisses before someone took him from me.

IMG_4472

James finished the party in the bouncy houses with his friends and cousins.

IMG_4509cropped

IMG_4523

The birthday boy went to bed and had to rest up for his baptism… yes, I am crazy and that will be the next blog… while the older kids and adults continued to celebrate. As I began to clean up for the baptism brunch, I stopped and took a look at the aftermath.

IMG_8181

IMG_4537

IMG_4532

I had a couple hours to make my house presentable for the brunch I was hosting the next morning. I inadvertently chose my son’s first birthday party and baptism to share the night that the time changes. But I was overtaken by the love that surrounded our family. I look at these pictures, and I don’t so much see scattered toys and spilled drinks. I see family that are friends. And friends that are family. And I see little ones that I love as my own.

IMG_4538

IMG_4541

IMG_4535

And that is what this special day was about. I appreciate everyone’s help, and I would especially like to thank my committee: Amy, Laurie, Carrie, and Erin. :)

Justin, we survived the first year. I love you.

To my Sweet Baby James, I love you more than I ever thought possible and you will always be my favorite little ducky.

IMG_8235

3 comments:

  1. So cute, Chollet! What a fun party and a precious little ONE-YEAR-OLD! Can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the best time celebrating!! Callie got home and asked if we could do it again! Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy First Birthday {party} sweet baby James! We had so much fun being a part of your big weekend, but more importantly, your first year! Chollet- it totally looks like I'm nursing Boland in that picture!! Yikes! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete