Monday, May 14, 2012

Getting out of the Army {Part 2}

After the Change of Command, our first stop was The Original Pancake House!

IMG_3579IMG_3587

Next on our list: PARTY!  I have always said when Justin gets out of the Army, we are going to throw a party.  Somehow this all seemed to happen so quickly, and we found ourselves sending Evites only one week in advance.  Papa and Mammy came in town for the ceremony… and little did they know we had a full weekend {of work} planned.  But we have our priorities straight around here and can always make time to play.

IMG_2124cropArmy6

As our soldier days were counting down, I took pictures of Justin in uniform as much as I could.

Army7

We had to keep the party small, only inviting a few friends and coworkers.  We also decided to cook rather than getting it catered.  I asked my Mom to help, but I don’t think she knew quite what she was getting into.  We {as in, my mom} filled four crockpots with pork.  Saturday morning my mom pulled pork for over two hours.  And then right before the party, she seared it with Maurice’s.  All with the little hands of just one helper.

IMG_3563

We slow cooked green beans all day on Saturday.  We cooked baked beans and bought coleslaw and rolls.  Our friend, Katie, brought delicious pasta salad.  Justin’s mom made the best banana pudding I’ve ever had.  We had sweet tea and coolers of beer.  And before we knew it, we were ready for a barbeque.

IMG_2144IMG_2146

Before the party, the food was sampled and got two silly thumbs up.

Army8

I didn’t do much preparation or decorating.  As I’ve said, this year has been a whirlwind so far, and I’m just glad we ended up having a celebration at all.

We had red and blue utensils and white plates and napkins.  That was pretty much the extent of my “theme.”  I made red white and blue strawberries, an idea that I found here.

428300

I put together a collage of our favorite Army pictures from over the years, and set it on the beverage table.

IMG_2137

That was about it for decorations.  The women handled the food and the house, and the men handled the booze and the yard.

IMG_2154IMG_2157IMG_2158

I picked up my camera a couple of times, but mostly enjoyed visiting with our guests.

Army9Army10IMG_2183editIMG_2194edit

James was on his very best behavior.  There were quite a few kids here, and he was having the time of his life.

IMG_2171IMG_2170Army11

James played through dinner.  He played through bedtime.  He was getting tired, but it didn’t stop him.

IMG_2181

The other kids had gone home,

IMG_2186

and James was walking around the yard with the adults.  I think he thought it was his birthday party… seriously.

IMG_3656

I finally scooped him up for a bath and bed.  I was so proud of my baby for being such a big boy.  I am so proud of my husband as well.  Seeing friends and family pay their respects and congratulations through this transition shows an immense amount of care and support.  We are overcome with love and encouragement.  And I truly believe it’s because Justin is such a wonderful, respectable person. 

After James went to bed, we continued to have a great night with a few of our closest friends.  I plan to do just one more blog on our journey of getting out of the Army…

IMG_3662

1 comment:

  1. Fun times! I could see a bit of your mom in one of the pics of James :)

    ReplyDelete