Monday, April 12, 2010

James Wallace – Month 1

Hello Everyone! This is for all the people (especially Amy!) who request a Helfer Family blog. Since we welcomed our first born, James Wallace Helfer, into our lives March 16, 2010 we have managed to take hundreds of pictures. I have not yet started a baby book or any scrapbook so, perhaps a blog will be a start. :) Here are some moments since our world has been turned upside down nearly 4 weeks ago....  (I have to warn you, this is a long first blog session!)

This is me.  March 15, 2010.  Fat and Pregnant. Miserable. But so excited to meet the little kicker inside of me the night before our scheduled c-section. Little did I know, I was rested. Something I only dream about now.

IMG_1092

This is Justin. Waiting and ready to be a Dad. He looked so cute in his scrubs, I had to take a picture!

IMG_1096

Sweet Baby James was born that Tuesday morning at 7:55. He was 7 pounds, 1 ounce and 21 inches long. He had a full head of hair and a healthy set of lungs.  He has big hands, 3 inch feet, long legs, and the doctors tell us he is very strong. He came out kicking!

IMG_1098

Who does he get his size from???  Meet his Great Grandfather, Moose.  Looks like his hand is the size of James!  Side note: Moose was a football AND basketball star.  Played for the fighting Gamecocks.  No pressure, James, no pressure.  Seriously though, if James has half the heart of Moose’s, he’ll make his mama proud.  And be a lady killer!!  Right, Nanny? :)

IMG_1137

Now when I met Justin 4 1/2 years ago, I fell in love hard and fast.

Bride & Groom_cropped

I knew within 24 hours I wanted to spend the rest of my life with Justin. But the minute I heard James' first cry, I knew that there is nothing in this world like a mother's love.  And that, I had.

IMG_1107 IMG_1116

I wasn't the only one to instantly fall in love with this tiny bundle of cuteness. Mr. J W had quite the number of visitors. Even the nurses were amazed!  Here were just a few.

James Wallace_cropped

Even his best friend, Watson Dupree, came to visit.  Watson’s Dad, Aaron, and Justin were best friends and partners in crime growing up.  Little did they ever imagine their first sons would be only six months apart!  We just know they are destined to be best friends.  :)

IMG_1185

Well, after three nights in the hospital, our family was ready to go home.  Or so we thought.  I sure do miss having a nurse on call!  But we had to take the training wheels off eventually.  Luckily, my parents (Papa and Grammy) were here when we got home to transition us into parenthood.  Here are some of our experiences thus far…

Our first outing!  To the doctor and then to meet Great Grandma “Bamma”.  (My Grandma’s maiden name is Eliza“Beth” Ann Moody, which made her initials and nickname BAM.  Hence, Bamma.  Too cute, if you ask me.)   But by the looks of it, James was a little skeptical about leaving the house!

IMG_1213

Our first doctor’s appointment.

IMG_1214

Oops, let’s try that one again.  Mommy hasn’t slept or brushed her hair in a week.

IMG_1215

Much Better.

Our first babysitter!  Yes, we’ve already managed a date night.  Our 4 year anniversary was April 7th so, Justin and I decided to venture out of the house so, that we could talk about the baby the whole time!   James did just fine for Grandma Lisa and Grandy (Andy).  (In case you’re wondering, Andy hasn’t exactly agreed to that name, but we all love it!)

IMG_1354

We Burp.  And burp, and burp, and burp….

IMG_1258

IMG_1192

And we cry.  AND CRY, AND CRY, AND CRY!!!!

IMG_1291

IMAG0195[1] 

IMG_1339

We take naps with Daddy and  just like Daddy (with their right arms up).  This melts my heart every time I look at it.

IMG_1211

We get bad hair days just like everyone else.

IMG_1310

IMG_1347

 IMAG0144[1]

We sun bathe (per the doctor’s orders to help the little bit of Jaundice he developed in the hospital).  This was so funny to see our little beach bum.  Besides the light in his eyes, he loves nothing more than the warmth of the sun.  Too bad the poor little guy can’t handle longer than about 5 minutes!  Although, we do see the Kahle dark skin tone in him.  Yes, another “Darkmeat", just like his Papa.

IMG_1195

Did I say, he loves nothing more than the sun???  Well, I meant he loves nothing more than his puppy, of course.  To answer EVERYONE’s question, Lynyrd is handling the baby just fine.  In fact, better than we thought.  Justin and I work extra hard to still show Lynyrd some love, attention, and (his favorite) cuddle time. 

Lynyrd checks his new brother out.

IMG_1199

Lynyrd always finds a way to to be a lap dog.  Even if it’s not comfortable.  (Notice there is nothing supporting his stomach!)

Lynyrd cropped

Lynyrd still greets Daddy when he comes home from work.

IMG_1356

Lynyrd still loves to steal socks…  of all sizes!

IMAG0191[1] 

Lynyrd still takes naps.

image

LynyrdandJames_nap_thumb[1] 

IMAG0157[1]

IMG_1327

All in all, I’d say Lynyrd is the best big brother James could ask for. :)  But feel free to give him some extra TLC when you come by to see the baby, because he seems to think all the visitors are here to see him.  Perhaps this is why…

IMG_1299

Well, thank you if you are still reading this longest blog entry ever!  I promise to keep them shorter in the future.  This month has been the best and hardest month of our lives, and we couldn’t have gotten through it without everyone’s support, prayers, and love.  Thank you, and we love you all.  Come visit (but call first, please!) and we will chill.  With Sweet Baby James. 

chillin

3 comments:

  1. Fablous first post! You'll be so glad you documented these special moments- both big and small- in the days, months, even years to come. If I can't be cuddling with sweet baby James nonstop, then at least I can constantly check up on him via the blog. :) We love you all and welcome to blog world!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this - can't wait for Uncle David to see it! He said the other day that since a little time has passed he's confident enough to hold baby James for the first time. Hope you all are getting enough rest!

    Love y'all so much. I can't say it enough.
    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to the new mommy and daddy! Baby James is too cute! I'm looking forward to keeping up with him on the blog!

    ReplyDelete