Saturday, December 18, 2010

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

Or Giraffes and Gorillas and Birds, Oh My.

My family was in town so, we took advantage of the beautiful weather and took Cousins Grey and James to The Riverbanks Zoo for the first time!

First stop: The Giraffes. My Aunt Beth works at the zoo with the giraffes so, she showed us how to feed them lettuce, and made sure we were well taken care of.

IMG_2853

IMG_2877

These giraffes were huge! And a little scary if you ask me. They kind of nibble on your hand, but rest assured, “they don’t have teeth on the top'.” Hmmm… anyone who knows me, knows that my mind wanders, and I wasn’t quite sure how I felt about this. But this Mommy put on a happy face so, my baby boy would learn to trust this giant, pregnant giraffe named Krissy.

IMG_2884

She nibbled on James’ hand looking for lettuce…

IMG_2860

And she ate lettuce off of Jude’s shoulder.

IMG_2866

Twice.

IMG_2867cropped

Krissy and Grey got acquainted. (As James peered from a safe distance.)

IMG_2874

I kept the paci in James’ mouth during this visit as I knew he was a little scared. (Nothing seems to bother Cousin Grey, but as usual James can be a little jumpy. God bless him.)

When all of a sudden, hungry pregnant Krissy was looking for lettuce and nibbled on this little hand, and it even startled Papa!

IMG_2879

She didn’t mean any harm, but it sure did scare our baby boy {as he holds his arm out like someone bit off a finger.}

IMG_2880

IMG_2882cropped

So off we went! To see the elephants and monkeys and then, to see the Gorillas.

James was mesmerized by the gorillas. Maybe it’s because they walk the same way.

IMG_2888

IMG_2889

James was hanging in there, but getting tired. We made one last stop to see the birds.

This was his favorite part. He and Grey were in awe.

IMG_2894edited

IMG_2891

James studied this parrot with his Papa.

IMG_2897edited

And then, the parrot cawed. And poor James once again, was caught off guard (which is quite the understatement.)

IMG_2902edited

Grey listened to the parrot talk.

IMG_2899edited

And poor James cried harder and harder each time. I’ve actually never seen him so scared. He even did the ‘I’m crying so hard, I can’t breathe thing.’ Poor baby. It’s such a pathetic cute cry though, that we can’t help but laugh. And then we all want to hold this poor baby to calm him down.

IMG_2903edited

We took James home, and he slept for the entire afternoon. We had a great time and wouldn’t have wanted to share our first zoo trip with anyone else. Thanks Mom, Dad, Josh, Jude, Dena and Grey for making the drive from Florida! And thanks Uncle David and Aunt Beth for showing us around at the zoo!

1 comment:

  1. Chollet, you are a great writer! So glad y'all enjoyed the day as much as UD and I did. It's so wonderful to have these moments archived! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete