Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas with the Kahles

We headed down south for Christmas this year to spend the holiday in Jacksonville Beach with my family.  What did Santa give me this year?  A Z-pack.  After I spent four hours Christmas Eve morning at an urgent care center and was diagnosed with a sinus infection, a throat infection, and bronchitis.  Got my Z-pack, and I was determined not to let anything get me down on James’ first Christmas.

Meanwhile, James was enjoying his first Christmas Eve.  I had so many Christmas outfits for him, but I got so sick and didn’t realize until later that he spent the day in an Abbey Road shirt and sweatpants.  Oh well, he pulled it off.

IMG_3088

My mom spent Christmas Eve baking cookies and candy, while Papa and James enjoyed eating these cookies.

cookies

Aunt Andrea stopped by with a present for James.  A 3 in1 walker, ride on, and scooter!  The excitement began immediately, and I think this will be a favorite for years.  Thank you, Aunt Andrea!

AndreaChirstmasEve

James often snuck over to the tree and got into the presents…

IMG_3075

IMG_3073

which reminded us of a Christmas tradition!  We always opened one present Christmas Eve, and now that we have kids around, we thought we’d bring some of these traditions back!

So, we opened one from Uncle Josh.

IMG_3086

And it was much needed (a warm sleeper) and loved (Go Gators!).

IMG_3087

Christmas morning was great.  Everyone slept in at the house so Justin, James and I enjoyed our first Christmas as a family of three.  My Z-pack kicked in, and I was feeling much better.  We made coffee, listened to Charlie Brown’s Christmas and played with James.  It was perfect.

IMG_3092

IMG_3098cropped

IMG_3106cropped

And then everyone woke up, and we put the turkey in before naptime.  Another tradition (that sounds weird now that I think about it, but I can’t remember a Thanksgiving or Christmas without it) is my Dad flies the turkey.  He picks it up like it’s flying and we all would laugh and laugh and laugh.  Since I’m big on tradition, Justin will just have to go with this one.

IMG_3110cropped

All the family came over, and cousins Grey and James were ready to share their first Christmas.

IMG_3117

Grey put on her Christmas dress, and I made sure to get some pictures of this beauty.

IMG_3127cropped

IMG_3136cropped

We visited on the porch before opening presents.

IMG_3141

IMG_3142

IMG_3143

They say you get more out of giving than of receiving.  We open presents a little different than most families.  We open them one by one, and it typically takes a couple of hours.  Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without Josh starting off, “{Fill name in here}, open my present first!”  He can’t wait for everyone to open his presents.  A true example of the fulfillment of giving. 

First off: James opens a gift from Josh.  And I absolutely love it!  I mean, every 9 month old needs a pea coat, right?!

IMG_3149warmflyIMG_3150warmfly

And the day continued.

IMG_3151

IMG_3154

IMG_3172

IMG_3173

IMG_3178

IMG_3182

IMG_3191

IMG_3195

IMG_3200

IMG_3196

IMG_3157

IMG_3162

IMG_3163

And then Jude and Dena called us outside for their gifts.  What in the world could it have been that they couldn’t carry inside, I was wondering.  (I think Lynyrd wins ‘best picture’ in this one.)

IMG_3205

They had painted us all gifts.  I was blown away.  They were beautiful.  And thoughtful.  And ours will always remind me of this Christmas.

IMG_3206

We all went back inside, ate Christmas dinner, and then, Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without Jude singing and playing the guitar.  Except this time, he had his beautiful family with him.

IMG_3225

IMG_3227

It’s a dream to share Christmas day with a wonderful husband and healthy and happy baby.  It’s also a very special time for my family to be together this holiday.  For whatever reason, or I should say, for all the reasons, this was the best Christmas I’ve ever had.  The love and peace I felt this day is a blessing from God.  Merry Christmas to all… and to all a good night…

IMG_3267cropped

2 comments:

  1. LOOOOOOOOOOVE this blog for so many reasons! Good job capturing the day Chollet. -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very very lovely...(wipes tear).

    ReplyDelete