Wednesday, March 28, 2012

James’ Bug Birthday Party

We celebrated James’ 2nd birthday with a bug themed backyard party.  He has a serious love for bugs that he didn’t inherit from his Mommy.  I find myself hoping time after time that he doesn’t get stung or bitten by a bug.  Not simply because it would be painful, but that I think it would really hurt his feelings.

I ordered the invitations from Etsy, while adding a few of my own touches.  I printed the invitations at home, which helped us to stay on budget.

invite-001

One of the best things about the bug theme is that most of my decorations included dirt, twigs and twine.  To anchor my food labels, I rounded up some mason jars and filled them with some soil and twigs.  I tried putting fake bugs in them, but just couldn’t stand the creepy crawlies on the food table.

We enjoyed Caterpillar Kabobs

IMG_9327edit

Ants on a Log

IMG_9338

Chicken Salad Snail Shells

IMG_9336

Leafy Green Spinach Dip

IMG_9328

Sausage Roly Polies (Mammy serving them fresh out of the oven!)

IMG_9373

And Spider Web Cookies!  {I was pleased with the look of these, but I made them entirely too thick.}

IMG_9368

I also made some cupcakes and marshmallow pops (bug bites).  I used burlap as table cloths and tied the ends with twine.  I strung a banner with twine, as well.  If only I could theme all birthday parties around twine.  It’s cheap, easy and one spool is never ending…

IMG_9382

I served “Sweet Nectar Tea” and water with lemon for the adults.

IMG_9323crop

We had a wheel barrel of Capri Suns for the kiddos.

IMG_9396

Inside we had a banner hanging for the birthday boy.

IMG_0695

Cousin Harper bravely let us borrow his bouncy house.  I think he was happy to have it at the party. :)

IMG_9454

While cousin Olivia stayed away from those crazy boys.

IMG_9459

Last year’s Rubber Ducky party had several play stations, but it seemed like all the kids cared about was the bouncy house.  So this year, all we had was the bouncy house and a sandbox filled with fake bugs.  I never intended on having so few bugs at a bug party, but the more I saw them, the more they grossed me out!  Disliking bugs must be innate in girls.

IMG_9381

James’ preschool had an outbreak of Hand Foot Mouth Disease the week of his birthday.  So most of his class canceled the day before.  We appreciate their responsible parents, but we missed our friends!  The attendees did a good job of making up for the fun, though!

IMG_9360James' 2nd Bday1James' 2nd Bday4James' 2nd Bday2

{Whose kid is that on the left?  Diving head first…}

IMG_9445

Boys and their wheels.

James' 2nd Bday3

My hungry little caterpillar.

IMG_9412

As usual, the marshmallow pops were gobbled up.  They never get old.

James' 2nd Bday5

Which is exactly why I made mini cupcakes.  To send these kids home on only a slight sugar high.

We sang Happy Birthday to the two year old, and then played The Beatles Yer Birthday as the kiddies ate their cupcakes.

IMG_9493crop

James had been requesting candles.  I was just happy no one ended up in the emergency room.

IMG_9501

…sneak-attack when no one is looking…

IMG_9506crop

As some kids ate cupcakes, Callie tried to figure out how bugs had taken bites out of her napkin…

James' 2nd Bday6

There were goodies for each little guest to take home.  I had to warn the moms that there were a few fake bugs in the bug catchers.  As well as gummy worms, ladybug bubbles, candy, and squishy frogs.

James' 2nd Bday8

Thank you for everyone that could make it!  And thank you, Erin, for taking most of these pictures so, I could enjoy my baby’s second birthday party.

IMG_9350

We survived another year and party, Justin.  I am so thankful and blessed to have you boys in my life.

IMG_9436

photo 23

1 comment:

  1. So sorry, I thought I was reading the Helfer's blog, not Martha Stewart's!

    What a great picture of the three of you! Frameworthy indeed.

    ReplyDelete