Sunday, July 18, 2010

Four Months

I had a proud mama moment at James’ four month check up. Because he was only 7 pounds at birth, was tongue tied and has acid reflux, he has remained in the 5th percentile for weight. Well, we have worked very hard these last two months to fight the acid reflux, keep the food down, and catch up to the big boys! James weighed a whopping 13 pounds 9 ounces at his 4 month appointment, which is 30th percentile. His doctor was absolutely amazed. He is 25 1/4 inches long {60th percentile}, and his head circumference is 40th percentile. (He is still gaining half a pound each week so, I have no doubt he’ll keep climbing up the charts!) And he was such a big boy when he got two shots at his appointment!

IMG_1713edited

This month has been so much fun watching James differentiate between people. (Although it’s making the whole babysitter thing a little less fun.) He just started crying when I leave the room and smiling when I come back in (which is cute now, but will get old, I’m sure.) He gets excited when Justin comes home from work and is becoming fascinated with Lynyrd. He has a preference for blondes. No joke. He coos to blonde newscasters and Carrie Underwood – don’t know if I have mentioned he is a big fan of music videos. (Once Papa discovered this, he had him watching The Who in concert and CMT – the Country Music Station. Uncle Josh introduced him to The Beatles Yellow Submarine video. You really have no choice in my family when it comes to music. It’s not uncommon to eat Thanksgiving Dinner to Helter Skelter.)

4months

He is laughing more and more and even has a couple of ticklish spots.

IMG_1709edited

He usually only wakes up to eat once a night. Often it isn’t until around 5:00 so, that long stretch is considered sleeping through the night.

IMG_1726cropped

He has started developing habits, which I have not been looking forward to. However, if there is one thing we have learned this month about Mr. James Wallace, it’s that he likes a schedule, and he lets the world know when he’s off schedule. (I don’t know why this surprised us so much: Justin and I both thrive on schedule and routine.) For example, we thought we would schedule bath time around 7:00, then eat, then bed. James is crying EVERY NIGHT by 6:55 if we have not yet bathed him. Nothing will soothe him, but that bath. As much as I’ve heard a schedule is good for children, I am not enjoying the damper this is putting on my social life.

IMG_1728cropped

The biggest big boy thing of all, is that the pediatrician told us James is ready to try solid foods! Justin and I were hesitant, because we feel like James is still our little baby, but he meets all the criteria that says he’s ready. (Apparently he still gets all of his nutrition from milk. Starting solid foods just helps them to learn to swallow, eat, and use a spoon.)

So, here he is in his high chair. Ready as he’ll ever be.

IMG_0018edited

I’ve heard that some babies don’t like rice cereal or the practice of eating so, I had little expectations. But he gave it a good try…

ricecereal

… and thought it was finger lickin’ good!

IMG_0039

IMG_0064

We love you, James, and can’t wait to see what this month brings!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Rice cereal may just change your life! Happy 4 months Baby Boy! I'm so very proud of you for gettig so big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go JW! Tell your mom, I'm already loving the new camera pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete