Friday, October 14, 2011

Catching up {from my phone}

Sheesh, I’ve gotten slack about taking pictures.  Lately, my camera has hardly left it’s case.  I can partly blame that on the convenience of {finally} having a decent cell phone camera.  We’ve had a heck of a month so far.  Here are a few moments I’ve managed to capture.

The day after James got his hair butchered cut, his first fundraiser cookies and treats were at school ready to be picked up!  Thank goodness for our big freezer!  Which reminds me, maybe it’s time to go ahead and pass these out.

fundraiser

Justin and I were flying to Pennsylvania the next day to be in a wedding, but I decided to put packing and cleaning on the backburner.  We had a birthday to celebrate.  Callie turned three!

callie3

I really felt an obligation to get these two together for her birthday.  James has made it clear that Callie is his friend.  And I think it’s safe to say, the feeling is mutual.  So, we squeezed in a quick trip to Yummilicious!  45 minutes of frozen yogurt, giggles and birthday hugs.  Callie’s Daddy might kill me for posting this, but James did cop a feel that day.

callie4

Afterwards, we had to get ready for Papa and Grammy!  My shadow helped clean the windows.

cleaningwindows

Grammy and Papa arrived to take care of James. 

GrammyandPapa

And Justin and I switched gears from Mommy and Daddy to bridesmaid and groomsman.  It’s been a couple of years since I’ve flown… I definitely still fear flying and don’t miss sitting around at airports.

Airport

Meanwhile, Grammy eased my heart and mind by texting me pictures of their visit.  Grammy was up with James every morning we were gone, fed him every meal, changed every diaper, and took pictures of James and Papa playing.  I’ve always heard that moms tend to take on the caretaking role, while dads get all the fun.  I guess that’s the same for Papas and Grammys.  However, we appreciate all caretaking, all playing, and all babysitting {let’s not kid ourselves… we are DESPERATE for babysitters}.

Papa and James played airplane {and visited the Gamecock store.  James now says “Yo Gocks” (Go Cocks) every time we get in the car.  I asked his teacher to put him in time-out for it, but she said “oh, you’re so funny.  I would never.”  I think she thought I was kidding.}

flying

Grammy did laundry.  Papa and Lynyrd lounged in the Army socks.

Lynyrdsocks

James lounged in his Lazyboy.

Lazyboy

James and Papa read books.  James knows letters A, B, F, M, N, O, Q, S, and W.  I’ve never been so proud.

ABCedit

Grammy made my favorite homemade chicken pot pie.

chickenpotpie

James sampled different foods making the exact same face Papa makes when he samples food.

Tryingbananapudding

Grammy unloaded the dishwasher.

photo_5

Papa and James did manly things.  Like watching football.

papa

And shaving.

shavingwithPapaedit

And hanging with the guys.

TheMen

Papa and Grammy eventually had to say goodbye.  And I’ll tell you, the goodbyes get harder and harder each time.  Distraction doesn’t work anymore.  ‘Out of sight, out of mind’ doesn’t work either.  James has to hear an explanation and watch Grammy and Papa drive away.  It breaks my heart.  And his.

byePapa&Grammy2

When they go, we keep busy.  And make sure to do lots of special things.  I appreciate this resiliency that God gave children.

JamesandLynyrdJamesLollipop

No comments:

Post a Comment