Friday, October 21, 2011

Flowers

A couple of weeks shy of six years ago, my life changed with a last-minute trip to Charleston, a football game, and an introduction. In case you haven't figured it out yet, his name was Justin Helfer.

Two days after we met, I was sitting in my office telling one of my best friends that "I think I met the guy I'm going to marry.... I just don't know if he'll ever call me." We proceeded to analyze the situation: My brothers taught me never to call boys. He lives in South Carolina. I live in Florida. I'm not a hopeless romantic so, what's going on? When you know, you know... but does he know? Yada yada yada. When a coworker runs back to my office and yells "Chollet! You got flowers!" So, I walk my red face up to the front (with a trail of ladies behind me) and I see a bouquet of long stem sunflowers. With a note that reads "Wish you were here... Hope you have a good week. Justin"

Emotion flooded the office. My boss knew I'd be quitting soon. The ladies went crazy. And I just stood there. They said I looked like a deer in the headlights. All I could think was "Holy Shit, what if he wants to marry me, too?"

Every Monday after, Justin sent flowers to my office. Sunflowers, tulips, yellow roses, daisies, red roses, I can't even remember them all. But I saved all the notes. Until our location changed and we were far enough in our relationship for me to say "save the money for the marriage." :)

Fast forward almost six years later, a marriage, a dog and a kid. My doorbell rings. Lynyrd goes crazy barking. James is ecstatic to see a truck. And I see a familiar purple box being carried to our doorstep.

Justin sent me just-because flowers. Which in my opinion, is the best kind. A dozen sunflowers. I love that they were sent for no reason on actually a pretty long and tiring week. I love that sunflowers are so - as a coworker said six years ago - unassuming. I love that I am the opposite of a pack-rat, but have never been able to throw away the (not so pretty) blue vase the first sunflowers came in. And that today's sunflowers settled in that blue vase. And I love that I got to open the package with our son. As he studied the flowers, felt the different textures, and giggled.

I love you, Justin. Thank you for being so thoughtful on such a busy and ordinary week.

5 comments: