Thursday, October 13, 2011

Oriental Coleslaw Recipe

I get an email/text/phone call about once a month for my Oriental Coleslaw Recipe.  To make my life a little easier and to fill your bellies with the best side dish ever, I’m posting it on the blog!

I have to give credit to my mother-in-law, Lisa.  I first tried this at her house.  I then, found a recipe online and tweaked it.  I wouldn’t say we could call this healthy since it has Ramen Noodles in it, but I will post the recipe I found, and then my healthier version.

Oriental Coleslaw

  • 1 Ramen Noodles packet (oriental or chicken flavor)
  • 1 16 oz package coleslaw mix
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
  • 2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
  • 4 green onions, the white parts diced

     Dressing:

  • Ramen seasoning packet
  • 1/2 cup of oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp pepper

Toast almonds and sesame seeds (separately) in a dry frying pan on med-high heat.  Do not walk away.  Keep stirring until toasted.  Set aside in bowl or on plate.  You can make the dressing ahead.  Mix all ingredients together, putting the almonds, seeds, and broken up uncooked noodles in at the very last minute.

If you’ve had my oriental coleslaw, this is how I make it a bit healthier.

Dressing:

  • Ramen seasoning packet
  • a little over 1/4 cup of canola oil
  • 1/4 cup of Red Wine Vinegar
  • No salt
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp pepper

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment