Sunday, October 30, 2011

Supper Club Recipes

Friday night was our turn to host Supper Club!  I spent most of the day in the kitchen cooking.  It was great.  I borrowed the chili recipes and idea from a friend.  And my favorite part was that I was completely done cooking by the time everyone got here so, I could enjoy our company!  This is what my kitchen looked like two hours before party time…

photo

I was able to get the house presentable, although I left myself a mere 15 minutes to get ready.   Oh well.  It seemed like everyone wanted a different recipe so, here are a few of the recipes that my fellow supper clubbers asked for…

Bruschetta

IMG_9399

This was the first time I made this, but I feel like I could eat it all day, every day.  I just got a baguette (this one was wheat), sliced it and toasted it in the oven at 350 for about 5 minutes on each side.  And topped it with slices of a block of mozzarella, tomato, fresh basil and balsamic glaze.  Yum.

Spinach Artichoke Dip

Layered Taco Dip

IMG_9400

Salsa (a picture from my phone while making it)

salsa

Pretzel Hugs

pretzelhugs

The Turkey and Bean Chili is a Cooking Light Recipe.  It was a little mild so, I added cayenne pepper and some Chili Ancho to spice it up.

The Spicy Black Bean and Chicken Chili is also very healthy.  I also added some cayenne pepper to this.

Classic Chili

  • 1/2 lb ground beef
  • 3 cups yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 15 oz can kidney beans
  • 1 cup picante sauce (I used medium)
  • 3 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tbsp oregano
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 16 oz cans chopped tomatoes
  • 15 oz can black beans
  • 1/2 lb mushrooms, quartered
  • 3 tbsp chili powder
  • 3 tsp salt

Brown beef, onions, peppers, and garlic in a large dutch oven.  Drain mixture.  Add remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil for three minutes.  Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often.

I omitted the mushrooms and doubled up on the meat.  I cooked all three chilis in crockpots.  (Oh and Caroline – if you’re reading this – the cornbread was the sweet you were tasting.)

The cornbread was another “recipe” I got from Amy.  I’ve always made cornbread from scratch until I tasted hers.  It’s to die for.  I’ve always said some things are just better store bought, and I suppose this is one of them.  It’s the box of Krusteaz from the grocery store.  Wonderfully delicious and sweet.

IMG_9401

We had a great time as usual.  It’s nice to know that with all of our busy lives, we at least see everyone once a month.

And if you know Adam, you will laugh out loud when you see the picture below.  Because it is clearly a joke.

IMG_9435

No comments:

Post a Comment