Wednesday, August 10, 2011

a-tra-truck!

James has been saying “truck” for months.  A couple of weeks ago, he added the “tra” prefix.  Maybe because he has a tow truck or maybe it’s truck-truck??  Last week, it turned into “a-ta-truck”.  Who knows what syllable will be added next.  For now, every passing truck is pointed out with enthusiasm, “a-tra-truck!”

Truck Party

I thought last Wednesday was the best day of James’ life, until we went to the beach on Saturday.  Now, it’s a toss-up.  Last Wednesday afternoon, we met Daddy at work and then headed to Fort Jackson’s National Night Out to celebrate law enforcement and the communities they serve.  Or in kid terms, to see the “a-tra-trucks!”

IMG_7647

There was every law enforcement vehicle you can think of, including a bomb squad truck.  After all our truck book reading lately, I still didn’t know half of these even existed.

Truck Party1crop

There was of course, a fire truck. AKA a ladder truck.  (Side note: Please excuse Justin’s crew socks.  I brought him a change of clothes, but forgot his flip flops.  He wore his workout shoes and socks, rather than his Army boots.  A good choice given his options.  I did my best to crop them out in most pictures.)

IMG_7651IMG_7652

He even got to sit in the fire truck, but didn’t seem to understand why he didn’t have a steering wheel on the passenger’s side.

Truck Party3

There was a helicopter that has sparked a new interest.

IMG_7648crop

And to really throw James into a state of shock, there was a horse.

IMG_7643

He was a little confused.  He alternated between saying neigh “yeigh” and “a-tra-tuck?”  I think this was the first real horse he’s ever seen. (Again, best day of his life.)

IMG_7645

He then ran over to the police dog saying “mmfff mmfff”, but when I saw that the officer was holding the dog’s snout away from James, I scooped my baby up rather than taking a picture.

James got to meet a Deputy Sheriff who gave him his own Sheriff Badge Sticker!  Our brave sheriff stuck out his bottom lip to this character quicker than I could get around to see his scared little face.  {And I can’t say that I blame him.}

IMG_7642

I don’t even know what kind of truck this is.  I guess it’s “a-tra-truck”.

Truck Party4

It didn’t seem to bother James that it felt like 110 degrees.  But it bothered us.  So, we spent some time on the shady bleachers to watch the trucks.

IMG_7596softfocusTruck Party6

James climbed up and scooted down {as his green seersucker shorts turned grey}.  I think he thought he was on a giant slide, because of the decline.  He kept saying, “weeeeee”.  Anyone want a play date on the bleachers?  It’s quite entertaining.

Truck Party2Truck Party5

We grabbed a quick dinner on the way home then, put James to bed.  Justin and I were BEAT!  I don’t know how these toddlers go so strong all day long.  I mean, they’re barely even 30 pounds.

IMG_7636crop 

It was such an exciting day for James though.  I overheard a fireman telling someone that they can bring their kids by the station anytime.  I’m seriously thinking about calling them to confirm.  Hmmm, wonder if they do birthday parties.  Right, they save lives.  Anyways, great idea, Justin, on going to National Night Out.  You are such a wonderful father that made your boy feel extra special on the best day of his life.

IMG_7616cropIMG_7617crop

1 comment:

  1. Somehow the vehicle knowledge is innate in little boys. Watson can tell the difference between a helicopter and an airplane when he hears them. Even I can't do that! And, yes, the fire station does birthday parties!! It's on our list! Glad y'all had a good outting (and didn't die of heat exhaustion!)

    ReplyDelete